Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 3


Want your entire house bursting with the scent of Christmas goodness?

Then make these ornaments for your tree:

Recipe:
Mix equal parts cinnamon and applesauce (go to SAM'S and buy the bulk container of cinnamon).
Next add additional cinnamon until dough reaches a clay consistency.
Cut into shapes and bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 200 degrees for 2 hours.
Insert straw to make holes for ribbon.
Let dry on wire racks for several days.

When scent fades, add a drop of cinnamon oil to each ornament.

These would also make nice gift tags. Decorate or paint when completely dry. I like mine as is.

Oh, and I am ecstatic to report I am in the possession of mom's bubble lights. The wonderful, magical bubble lights I grew up with. They just take me back to Christmas as a kid, and that's what traditions are all about.

Thanks, mom for finding four strands for me in your basement. I love you.

7 comments:

  1. Being that football season is in full throttle for quite possibly another week, I will live vicariously through your holiday traditions, as mine have yet to glow. I did put a few things on the mantle and hang the recently arrived cards today while the carpet installers worked. Yes lots going on, none of it very merry. Can't wait to get that tree. Might resort to a tree shaped pine scented air freshener if all else fails. How in the heck did I miss these traditions postings and its already day 3? I must catch up.

    your address once again please... pretty please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, goodie! LOOKING FORWARD to seeing all your December posts and pictures. I remember how much I enjoyed them last year. Those bubble lights sure do bring back some good memories for me. Glad you have them to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oohh. love the bubble lights. i grew up without a Christmas tree so am all over mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I too love bubble lights. One of my past, growing up traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have made the dough type ornaments, but never with your recipe. Hope I can make it happen this year. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom has bubble lights too! I LOVED them! Amazing how seeing these in your blog posts made me remember being a kid and decorating our tree. Beautiful. And now, I am going to look for bubble lights on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh, now I need to convince my parents to hand over their bubble lights to me. I love those things...I remember laying under the Christmas tree reading my favorite book in the glow of all the lights and bubbles.

    ReplyDelete